ATG Worldwide Forum
Welcome to ATG Worldwide's forum!

a pint a pound the world around

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  crowdog on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:53 am

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink..three days without it am been told your dead.well that just sucks.just a little on the fragile side aren,t we..the percentage of water in are bodies. i forget but the brain is about 65 percent.rest maybe 80 percent..3 days now thats pretty darn quick .think you might make it a little farther if you were at rest..working ,cutting trees,walking,lost in the tall timber..yeah your going to burn up dried out like a old lizard on a hot rock eyes all sunk in..flies buzzin around your head.dam 3 days from now .guess i better move on to finding fresh water quick..seem like in all the old westerns sombody was always looking for water. some bad guy shot a hole in the water barrel then poured out your canteen on his head then run off with whatever you had horse ,gun, hat so we start walkin then crawlin to the old water hole.you get there the first thing you see is a dead steer.then someone yells out dont drink the water its been posioned they drink in about half of it anyway.and get that funny look in there eye.mother nature hates you she will walk right by and poke a stick in your ribs yeah there dead..starts to laff she a cruel old hag .the water around us is a mix of chemicals,all of them.the bacterial infections.parsites and other nasties.are just staring at you threw that clear container.your going to drink it.then your group is going to pay the heavy hidden cost..was not always like that.sunny days when the creeks ran clear .minnows swarmed threw the small waterways crawdad under every rock its gone.stand on any small bridge you will be lucky to see a fish..so what are you going to do about it..the safest water is the water you carry with you, your sure of its source bottled water is everywhere no reason not have it on hand in your car or in your pack. the containers now days for water are endless .camel backs resivor are about the best way to carry water because of weight, there is some draw backs, they warm up in the summer and the water tubes if you dont route them in to your coat will frezze..a water filter is a must they can be hand made from cloth to strain out the dirt and leaves.coffee filters anything you can use to get the debris out..when you boil water or use chemical treatments such as bleach unsented,iodine tablets.tincture of iodine...iodine and chlorine are poisons so kill the bacteria not your self..the reasons for filters take out the big stuff even boiling treated water small sticks and dirt will protect .the nasty critters that will lay you low.so strain it..store bought fiters are great if you practice useing them. a list of how to operate it and a broken plastic handle on the day you need it never works and they will frezze and crack the membranes inside filters keep it warm inside your coat. they have a half life the filters can only do so much if you buy one get the best you can afford.boilling water get it rolling boil it good ,so you need a metal container to do this ..it will tastse bland and often has the color of tea..if you carry some tea or tang you will never notice it ..collecting rainwater and morning dews..many ways to do this carry plastic bags for rain catchers and cloth to gather dew .others that are with you..your going to need more water.the old and the young..your going to need a way to transport water to them..5 gallon bucket.sheet of 6 mil plastic .less trips to the bad water hole..gravity filters produce more for a group..sand in abucket is a start to filter it out..the red cross says that you need one or two gallons a day per person to make it thats drinking water only..you gotta cook,wash clean.pans in a camp and santation..so you just went up to about 15 to 20 gallons times how many people if you want to keep the camp running right..first thing in the morning last thing at night .water..get water..like looking for springs myself..digging them out watching them clear..bubble all around coming from the source..drank alot of it with no ill effects..find the springs they are inportant during power outage..they can save the farm...made a mistake with water one time washed a pan in a creek and dryed it and put it in its place .used it next day.got sick something awful ,cramps of the lower intestine kind..after about 4 days i was so weak had to break camp..leapfrog about 500 pounds of gear out after a 5 month stay training rabbit dogs..i finally made the mistake one short cut of not boiling my pans did it..i was pale white rested for about 5 days after that bout..its not an easy thing to carry water its the heaviest thing you will have to deal with day to day..you run out game over .storing water is just as inportant.power outage and its on.. your first thought better be water..theres a hundred gallons in my cargo bays.wish it was 500. a hundred gallons is nothing.genrators hooked to a well pump will bring it up out of the ground for you .is the well wired for that can you do it.hand pumps.hardley see one any more several different kinds that you can install. meanwhile back in the old west.they had water wars. men got shot over water rights. to this day water is the law of the land severe drought in the midwest and south west has been going on for about 5 years now whole lakes have dried up ,streams gone..learn the ways of water you got about 2 days left
crowdog

Back to top Go down

Re: a pint a pound the world around

Post  98golf on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:03 pm

It is good to see that your cold did not prevent you from posting. As a matter of fact, it seems to have enhanced it. I think that if you had pneumonia, you would be as prolific as Tom Clancy.

I truly look forward to your "streams of consciousness". Honest to God, you could have written the opening monologue for Capt. Willard in Apocalypse Now. "I asked for a diatribe and for my sins, they gave me one".

That being said, you had some very good info and food for thought in there. It is a great follow up to your "fire starting" post. Thanks.

98golf

Back to top Go down

Post  crowdog on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 pm

am going to look that there diatribe up.. is that some sort of fish eaten indian. figure they had canoes instead of horses ?...must be from the northeast never heard word of them no mention by lewis and clark
crowdog

Back to top Go down

Post  JasonChuey on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:59 am

Carry some extra coffee filters with you. Really no bulk to speak of, and they have many uses. Makes a good way to filter debris out of water before boiling, makes great tinder, and... uh.... other things you use paper for if there are no leaves handy.
JasonChuey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top