ATG Worldwide Forum
Welcome to ATG Worldwide's forum!

grease vs oil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

grease vs oil

Post  groubert on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:33 am

Question regarding lubing my bolt for AR. I've heard different opinions. Which is best for lubing bolt... gun oil or high temp grease? Seen some places people using common red high temp (500 degree) axle grease.

Also, if grease is good (non-patroleum type)... can it be used also to lube contact points on other firearms?

Just curious on other's opinions. Tx.

groubert

Back to top Go down

Re: grease vs oil

Post  98golf on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Grease is unnecessary and can lead to malfunctions. I would only use it in an emergency situation where nothing else was available. Most people over lube their weapons. With weapons maintenance, you want to use minimal lube.

It attracts dirt and debris. It becomes stiff in cold weather.

In the Army, all we used in all climates and environments was Breakfree CLP. Spray it on, clean it, wipe it down, re-assemble. Jason said they used that and there were some guys that used white lithium grease.

I can not think of a circumstance when you would want to use grease. I would love to hear anyone else's opinions on this topic.

98golf

Back to top Go down

Post  robp0374 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Grease is simply just a means of holding oil in suspension. Grease consists of a thickeners such as lithium, or molybdenum disulfide (most common). It also contains additives such as calcium, or sulfur-,phosphorus depending on the application and type of friction applied.

Grease is good when you need to deliver oil to a specific place-- such as a bearing. The major benefit of grease is unfortunately its downfall as well. Grease is sticky; therefore, unless the grease is sealed it will essentially become a dust magnet. So unless you shoot in a sterile test lab its going to cause more harm than good.

As far as the high temp stuff goes, two separate conditions apply. 1st the thickener- lubrication companies rate the max temp of their greases based upon the melting point of the thickener. So basically what they are saying is that the thickener will resist melting up to whatever they rate it. The problem with this is that what happens to the base oil?
The 2nd condition is the base oil viscosity. The more stable the viscosity throughout higher temperatures the better.
This is the real concern. The real question is what is the viscosity of the base oil at the applied temperature. if it is low then the base oil will not be thick enough to separate the sliding components.

To sum it up. Its all about base oil viscosity and the temp rating is more of a marketing tool than anything. Very very few applications that need lubricated by grease run at temperatures much above 150F.

in my opinion the best thing to do is to stick with the oil that the gun manufacturer recommends. It should have the correct viscosity.

just my two cents worth---

robp0374

Back to top Go down

Grease for some weapons

Post  Director ATG on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Great posts guys!!!

We used a fine grease on our sniper bolt guns. Very thin coat on the bolt.

Adam

Director ATG

Back to top Go down

Post  groubert on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Here's an interesting YouTube video where the speaker recommends grease. Take it with grain of salt since we all know that YouTube videos are not the final authority on "how to."

This video came up first when typed in search term "lubricating AR15"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXIsKEHo-4g

I did try a very thin layer of blue grease as mentioned and so far have over 1000 rounds thru my AR and still haven't cleaned bolt carrier/assembly. Trying to see how far can push it before I get a jam. However, I am still swiping a bore snake thru barrel every 100 or so rounds.

Great comments thus far.

groubert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top